Manager, Knowledge Engagement
Location: Toronto, Ontario
About Mastercard Foundation
Mastercard Foundation is a global foundation based in Toronto, Canada. Our programs promote financial inclusion and advance youth learning in Africa. The Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. From inception, the Foundation was designed to be a separate entity and independent from Mastercard. Our policies, operations and funding decisions are made by our President and Board of Directors.
The Foundation believes that youth employment is key to unlocking prosperity, both for youth and their societies. By enabling young women and men from disadvantaged communities to secure and sustain decent work, we will enable tangible and intrinsic improvements to their well-being. By 2030, we want to see an Africa where young people, particularly young women, have decent and fulfilling work. Where everyone can acquire the education and skills they need to find meaningful work and contribute to their societies. Where everyone is financially included and has access to relevant, affordable, and local financial services that they need to manage their daily lives, grow their businesses, and achieve their dreams. Most importantly, we want to see an Africa with a thriving private sector and where governments address the needs of their populations through well-designed and implemented policies and programs, and where the continent is self-reliant and driving its own development.
The Foundation values innovative and fresh thinking as it strives to become a global thought leader. Its work is achieved by a strategic, nimble and highly entrepreneurial team with a proactive and results-oriented approach to its philanthropic activities. The organization’s culture is shaped by people who are driven and passionate about the Foundation’s mission.
The Manager, Knowledge Engagement is a newly-created position at the Foundation and comes at an exciting time of growth as it implements its new strategy, Young Africa Works, to address the challenge of youth employment in Africa.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Knowledge Management, the Manager is responsible for catalyzing evidenced-based decision-making and learning across the Foundation and within our networks of external stakeholders. The Manager will work within the Strategy & Learning department with a high level of collaboration among cross functional teams including Thought Leadership, Communications, People & Culture and various Program teams. This role has a focused mandate on mobilizing knowledge by leveraging a wide range of best practice processes, products and tools.
- Leverage and elevate a wide range of evidence including research, performance data, program evaluations, and country statistics with the mandate to improve program design, leading to increased impact and advancement of the Foundation’s thought leadership.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing amongst internal teams and a multitude of external stakeholders including researchers, practitioners, partners, policy makers and governments.
- Support the continued adaptation and implementation of the Foundation’s Measurement Framework which is used to measure, monitor and report on the effectiveness of programs undertaken by our partners and their short/long-term impact.
- Ensure internal staff have the tools, support and capacity to identify and share strategically relevant knowledge and content.
- Develop strategic learning content using best practices in evidence synthesis, knowledge translation and communication design.
- Collaborate with Communications and Thought Leadership teams to develop publishing processes and practices that contribute to the ecosystem of data, information and knowledge within the international development community.
- Design and facilitate online and in-person learning events that incorporate activities focused on peer knowledge exchange.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-graduate degree and/or equivalent experience in Knowledge Management or Mobilization, Communications and/or Information Learning.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in knowledge mobilization, policy engagement, digital communications and/or knowledge translation. Preferably in philanthropy and/or international development.
- Strong experience in research and evaluation in international development.
- Strong understanding of knowledge translation, exchange and communication design techniques and practices.
- Direct experience in measuring knowledge mobilization, policy engagement and behavior change is an asset.
- Excellent analytical and interpretive skills with the ability use communication and design techniques to mobilize and engage stakeholders.
- Excellent project management skills, and a team player who can share information and collaborate effectively across multiple functions and geographies, with both internal and external partners.
- Experience applying the principles of adult education in the workplace.
- High tolerance for ambiguity and change and ability to adapt to changing priorities within a fast-paced work environment with a “roll up the sleeves” attitude.
- Strong problem-solving skills combined with a track record of pivoting in response to opportunities and challenges.
- Deep sense of curiosity with an interest in learning and ability to turn learnings into actionable strategies.
- Experience in participatory approaches and demonstrated commitment to gender inclusion and youth engagement.
- Exceptional cross-cultural skills and lived experience with youth employment issues is highly valued.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with an ability to present to varying audiences.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication, relationship-building and facilitation skills.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Office 365, SharePoint) and graphic design applications (Adobe Illustrator).
Please email your resume along with a cover letter explaining your interest in the position to email@example.com , indicating “Manager, Knowledge Engagement” in the subject line of your email. All applications are appreciated; however, please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Mastercard Foundation values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Foundation and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. We appreciate your interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
Completion of satisfactory business references, background checks (criminal and credit) and proof of education are essential conditions of employment.
If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please contact the People and Culture Department. We will work with you to provide a positive recruitment experience in a confidential manner.