Rwanda Questions and Answers
Mastercard Foundation COVID-19 Recovery and Resilience Fund
Updated April 9, 2020
What will the Foundation’s focus be in Rwanda through the Mastercard Foundation COVID-19 Recovery and Resilience Program?
One of our priorities will be to provide support to, and amplify, the initiatives led by young people to tackle COVID-19 in their communities.
In the short- and medium-term, the program will seek to support the education sector in the following ways:
- Continued support to EdTech fellows of the Foundation’s Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning to develop technology-based solutions to enhance virtual learning during the pandemic.
- Delivery of radio and TV lessons.
- Provide support to students and teachers to acquire hardware and software for online learning.
The program will also aim to support micro-, small-, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in the following ways:
- Provide bridge or relief financing to enable businesses, specifically in the Tourism and Hospitality sector, to avoid bankruptcy.
- Provide working capital financing for businesses in the Tourism and Hospitality sector.
- Provide seed funding to enable MSMEs and businesses beyond tourism to restart or startup and ensure work opportunities for young women and young men.